Growing Wheat Grass and starting an outdoor organic gardening activity is; the first thing we choose to do in the spring season.
Wheat grass is easy to grow and organic wheat grass juice is delicious.
Drinking wheat grass juice concept was introduced to me by a girl friend of mine several years ago. She said those are nutrient food for our winter days energy supplies. So, I started growing wheat grass since then.
There are two different types of wheat grass seeds. There are winter wheat seeds and summer wheat seeds.
I started first indoor, then outdoor; I have tried wheat grass growing in a soup cup (picture 8) and also in the indoor's re-usable plastic containers (picture 9-11).
Fragrant Grass Sprouting
For indoor organic gardening, you need no worry about the vegetable gardening planting times: As long as the temperature is about 20-25°C, it would be warm enough for the seeds to be germinated and the result would be terrific.
However, if you grow them outdoor; they would have a chance to receive the fresh air and the natural direct sunlight.
1. Get some fresh seeds (picture 1); rinse them; put them in a cup of clean water or filtered water; remove those floated seeds; cover and let them stand over one night indoor.
2. The next day lay them flat on the potting ground; in an earth pot (picture 2). Cover them with one layer of thin loose soil and a non-transparent lid to protect them from the light; and the birds. If the wind is too strong; add a heavy stone on the lid.
3. Sprinkle everyday with filtered water; or clean water; or rain water. Remove the lid when the grass are long; continue growing until the grass reach about 15 cm (about 6 inches) tall (picture 3), then it will be time for harvest.
4. When harvest, trim the grass 0.5 cm above the white line from the roots. After first harvest (picture 4), you can grow the grass further (picture 5) for the second round harvest (picture 6).
5. Afterwards, you may put all the grass remainders and the roots (picture 7) under your garden as fertilisers; or add to your home made earth worm compost container.
If you are not interested to harvest the grass, you may continue the growth until the grass is matured.
When the plants are matured, they should be in a charming golden colour. In this way, you will be able to collect your own organic wheat seeds for the next sprouting.
Wheat grass must go through a special wheat grass juicer (picture 12) to extract the wheat grass juice; it has the similar concept as the extraction of sugar cane juice. This simple hand operated "Green Power Wheat Grass Juicer" needs no electricity power supply.
Winter wheat grass seeds are simple to manage right?