Adzuki bean is also known as Chinese red bean; and this bean is popular in Asian kitchens; especially in the Chinese desserts.
When the beans are totally dried; they are pretty solid. So, some of us would used them for pillows or bean bags making.
Some people believed that the green beans are easier to germinate than the red ones.
If you wish to know whether they are equally fast in sprouting; you may try this Grow your own Bean sprouts project.
Temperature: 20°C (heated)
Sprout a Seed Steps
You will realise their behaviours are a little human a-like. One grow supper fast; some stay moderate; and one is specially slow. But if you give them more time; they would succeed.
You can use any container and glass bottle. As long as it is water-proof. If you consume organic products often; you can keep the containers or bottles away for all your indoor growing projects.
1. From top picture 3 you can see the beans were started to sprout in 2 days time; and they grew pretty fast.
2. On 9th January (picture 8) the seed number 2 became the champion. It was transferred to a short neck wide bottom glass bottle (picture 9) to further its growth.
3. The plant showed its first pair of leaves on the 11th day of growth.
When the plant started to shoot-up; a support is always essential. Since this young bean plant is grown in water; the only support you can provide is a piece of soft paper (picture 10); just able to hold the stem; at a short distance below the top leaves. So that; the skinny shoot would not be broken when it grow taller.
4. Although the seed number 5 has dropped half of its young tender shoot on 6th January due to my mistake; but it had continue its growth; and sent out its first leaf on 13th January; and showed healthy again on the 15th January (picture 16).
5. On 21st January (picture 14), you can see the length of plant number one is only half of the champion plant 2.
6. The mini red insects from the soil of other indoor potted plants made their damages on all the young and tender bean leaves (picture 15); when the dry air approached.
This project was ended soon after the two leaves from the plant were dropped on 1st February (32nd day); due to the insufficient fresh air supplied; although I have supplied fresh air for 30 minutes everyday.
If you can provide a good free flow fresh air circulated location; these plants would be able to stay longer; and continue their growth outdoor when the warm ground is ready.
This Adzuki bean seeds can show you how much a little seed can do and how much time you can save, before the actual warm days arrived. And from here, you can use all your available winter hours to learn how to start a very low cost indoor gardening plan in early spring; and further develop to a middle school organic gardener workshop.